Thursday, November 8, 2012

Holiday weekend ideas

I've been trying to think of a way to occupy the kids in the weekends during the holidays and I think I finally thought of something. Since Scott will be gone to school in Georgia the kids might get down but this should keep them happy. There are 4 weekends in December before Christmas and they are going to be full of fun at our house. The first weekend will be full of Elf fun as in the movie Elf starring Will Ferrel. In the movie Buddy the Elf travels to New York City to meet his father. The kids love this movie as do Scott and I. I the movie Buddy talks about the 3 Elf food groups, candy, candy corn and syrup. I am going to plan the weekend or at least one day of it around this and of course we will be wathching Elf. The second weekend will be a Polar Express weekend. So far I am thinking we will be saying in pj's all day, drinking plenty of hot chocolate and of our course writing letters to Santa. Weekend number three will be the Grinch weekend. We will be watching both versions of the movie and reading the story. Food wise we will be having Roast Beast, grinch cookies and a best Grinch imitation contest! By the fourth weekend Scott should be home to spend Christmas with us so of course we will be having A Christmas Story weekend since it is one of his favorite Christmas movies. Footed pjs for at least the kids, cookies in the shape of things from the movie and of course Chinese for for dinner and a marathon of watching the movie. Although it isn't going to be on a weekend this year, I plan on doing something special for Christmas Eve too. Every year on this day we open one present before bedtime and every year it is a new pair of pajamas. This is something my parents started with my siblings and I which my kids love just as much as we did. Anyhow along with new pj's we also read The Night Before Christmas. This year I am going to make the whole day about that one story although I'm not exactly how, I know we will be acting out the parts of the story. Although I don't know how this will all work I can't wait to see the excitement on the kids face as the discover what that weekend will be about. Watch for my posts about it.

0 comments: